Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spring Cleaning

This week is my spring break. I am more thankful for this pause to my hectic schedule than I can express. I am so grateful to have a few days off from school and work, especially right before Easter. I'm so looking forward to the buildup this week has to offer, and anxiously awaiting the beauty of this Sunday. (For more on Holy Week, check out my friend Frankie's blog)

Yesterday, I woke up and decided to start a much-dreaded task: spring cleaning. It's not that I don't enjoy cleaning, ask any of my previous roommates. It's just that over the past few weeks (okay, months) leading up to break, with all the stress of school and busyness of life, our little apartment had gotten more than a little dirty. I wasn't even sure where to begin. After much contemplation (procrastination), I decided to tackle the kitchen first, starting with the pile of dishes in the sink, wiping down all counters, even cleaning the stove and the scrubbing the floors. Next I moved on to the bathroom and pretty much followed the same routine, cleaning all the hard surfaces and the floors. I felt a great sense of accomplishment (and exhaustion) when I completed my task. Today, I will move on to the living room/bedroom and do some major organizing. It feels wonderful to get everything put in its proper place. That way, maybe the next time Matt goes looking for his Supervised Ministry syllabus, we won't have to spend an hour going through all the piles of paper we have stacked everywhere.

I think that's the thing I love most about spring cleaning - clearing out the clutter I've gathered over these past months, wiping the dust off everything, and making it all shine.

I can't help but think sometimes that God must feel this way about us, as he clears away our clutter, wipes off this dust of ourselves, and puts us where we belong - with Him. Just wanted to share that quick thought. Now, I'm off to get my clean on.

1 comment: